cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

WDS using AP's and now I have over 60

Wireless Domain Services

The problem:

I am using WDS in my wireless networking environment, and a new building is going to bring the tally of access points to over 60.

The question:

What is the best WDS solution for this problem?

Other Questions:

Is it possible to have 2 separate access points act as WDS and split the access points between them?

I started setting up another WDS on the same subnet and it automatically went into Backup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Re: WDS using AP's and now I have over 60

When my 100+ access points were autonomous I initially had to have them in two different WDS domains on separate vlans. In preparing for the conversion from autonomous to LWAP I found it would be better to have them all on the same vlan. In order to work around the limit of 60 APs I put both of the WDS access points on the same switch and put those two ports in protected mode so they could not see each other.

Example:

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport protected

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport protected

Access points then would connect with one of the two WDS APs while the two WDS APs could not see each other. I am sure this is not an endorsed configuration from Cisco but it eased my transition to LWAP. It should work fine for you but I would suggest you consider moving to controller based access points.

2 REPLIES
Community Member

Not sure if this is the best, but it currently works for us. We are using a single AP1200 for the WDS with the radios disabled(a must do). We use WLSE with 100 lic. and are currently around 70 APs. I have a second AP set as the backup WDS in the event the first one goes off line for any reason.

I believe that you can have two WDS primaries due to the limit on the number of APs that one WDS AP can handle. Not sure on this one.

From what I can recall as it has been a while you have to set thing manually to point the AP to the desired WDS unit.

As for the automatic backup, the AP is set by default to look for a WDS unit and since you had one it then set itself to the backup. To be the primary you do not want to be searching for other WDS units.

As it has been a while and I am rusty on the subject hopefully someone can chime in and confirm or correct my input.

Community Member

When my 100+ access points were autonomous I initially had to have them in two different WDS domains on separate vlans. In preparing for the conversion from autonomous to LWAP I found it would be better to have them all on the same vlan. In order to work around the limit of 60 APs I put both of the WDS access points on the same switch and put those two ports in protected mode so they could not see each other.

Example:

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport protected

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport protected

Access points then would connect with one of the two WDS APs while the two WDS APs could not see each other. I am sure this is not an endorsed configuration from Cisco but it eased my transition to LWAP. It should work fine for you but I would suggest you consider moving to controller based access points.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content