cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WEP support has not been purchased!

fjuch
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 340 Series Cisco/Aironet PC cards. When I run the Client Encryption Module on one of the cards it states that "WEP support has not been purchased". I didn't know you could get it without that option. I have upgraded both cards to Firmware Version 4.25.10 and that doesn't have any impact. Since it is on the same PC I don't think the driver is a problem.

So the question is how do I upgrade the card to include WEP.

3 Replies 3

dave.reid
Level 1
Level 1

The 340, 341 & 342 devices are distinguished by differences in WEP capaqbility. I don't know how to have them changed.

anotech01
Level 1
Level 1

The cards do not control security. The access-points do. You can send the device into Cisco $300 USD for an "upgrade"

bmcmurdo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can tell what level of WEP you card has by looking at the part number underneith the card.

AIR-PCM351 - 350 Series PC Card w/Integrated Diversity Antenna,40-bit WEP

AIR-PCM352 - 350 Series PC Card w/Integrated Diversity Antenna,128-bitWEP

From memory, the 340 series part numbers ran the same way, PCM340 - no WEP, PCM341 - 40bit, PCM342 - 128bit.

I believe cisco now charges the same amount for each level of encryption, and encourages the strongest encryption possible to be used.

I don't think the cards can be upgraded. You may need to check your options with TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card