Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What does the P2P blocking 'actually' do?

Hi,

We are considering implementing blocking of BitTorrent/Peer2Peer traffic over our Wireless network infrastructure and have found the 'P2P Blocking' drop-down box on our Cisco WLC 8500 series.

I have done some research but can't find out exactly what enabling this means. What protocols/ports does it block (or does it block or filter traffic)? Any more technical information on what happens behind the scenes when this is enabled would be extremely useful.

TIA

Cheers,

Cam

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

This blocks direct

This blocks direct communication between wireless clients on a wlan and a single controller, it's not blocking specific protocols or ports, it's not really P2P but client2client

VIP Purple

Hi,The Peer-to-Peer Blocking

Hi,

The Peer-to-Peer Blocking feature blocks communication between each two clients on the same WLC (option drop). If you want to extend blocking over your whole WLAN then choose forward upstream and let the central switch decide (configure Private VLANs there: let the client VLANs be isolated and the upstream port promiscuous).

More info here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_wlan.html#wp1583273

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

6 REPLIES
Bronze

This blocks direct

This blocks direct communication between wireless clients on a wlan and a single controller, it's not blocking specific protocols or ports, it's not really P2P but client2client

VIP Purple

Hi,The Peer-to-Peer Blocking

Hi,

The Peer-to-Peer Blocking feature blocks communication between each two clients on the same WLC (option drop). If you want to extend blocking over your whole WLAN then choose forward upstream and let the central switch decide (configure Private VLANs there: let the client VLANs be isolated and the upstream port promiscuous).

More info here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_wlan.html#wp1583273

Regards

Hi,

Hi,

I know this thread is kinda old but I would have one question.

I would like to enable P2P blocking on certain guest SSIDs to avoid the visibility from client to client (so that clients are not able to see each other anymore).

Will the SSID be temporarly disabled when I enable P2P (so do I need a timewindow to enable it) or can I enable this feature on the fly without any interruption visible?

Christian

Thank you very much for the

Thank you very much for the responses.

I have misunderstood the 'P2P' function as I assumed it was for Bittorrent like applications a Wireless client would be using and communicating with over the Internet, not between clients on the same WLAN/WLC.

In saying that have you got a recommendation on the best way to block 'torrent' traffic over a Wireless network?

Thanks again.

VIP Purple

HI,I never done it but Cisco

HI,

I never done it but Cisco WLC have one feature its called AVC(Application Visibility And Control).You can block with the help of this.

I found a blog regarding this, check it out:

http://justdowifi.blogspot.de/2013/11/how-to-block-bit-torrent-on-your-wlan.html

Regards

Bronze

The thing to be aware of with

The thing to be aware of with AVC is the control part only works with 2nd generation APs (1600/2600/3600 and 1700/2700/3700)

Views
Helpful
Replies