cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a "Rogue Client" when there is only open access

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

This may seem like a basic question, but how can there be "Rogue Clients" if the system is setup for open authentication?

Is this even possible?

I am asking this because two Rogue Clients have appeared in the system and it is unclear what these are. Is client that connects to a rogue ap considered a "rogue client"? This does not seem to be defined anywhere in the documentation that I have found.

In the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, it does make one reference to "Detect trusted clients on rogue APs..........Alarm Only".

However, we do not have a list of "trusted users" loaded. Does the WLC assume that if a client once connected to it and then connects to another "rogue" AP that the client now becomes classified as "rogue"?

The definition seems sketchy.

- John

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If I had to guess, I'd say you probably have two previously associated clients that are doing an "Ad Hoc" connection to each other.

FWIW, running an open system for a corporate network is generally considered a Very Bad Idea.

Good Luck

Scott

Normally, I would agree. However, this is a college and the customer is using a Blue Socket device (for now) to authenticate their users to permit them to go to the Internet).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card