cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a "Rogue Client" when there is only open access

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

This may seem like a basic question, but how can there be "Rogue Clients" if the system is setup for open authentication?

Is this even possible?

I am asking this because two Rogue Clients have appeared in the system and it is unclear what these are. Is client that connects to a rogue ap considered a "rogue client"? This does not seem to be defined anywhere in the documentation that I have found.

In the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, it does make one reference to "Detect trusted clients on rogue APs..........Alarm Only".

However, we do not have a list of "trusted users" loaded. Does the WLC assume that if a client once connected to it and then connects to another "rogue" AP that the client now becomes classified as "rogue"?

The definition seems sketchy.

- John

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If I had to guess, I'd say you probably have two previously associated clients that are doing an "Ad Hoc" connection to each other.

FWIW, running an open system for a corporate network is generally considered a Very Bad Idea.

Good Luck

Scott

Normally, I would agree. However, this is a college and the customer is using a Blue Socket device (for now) to authenticate their users to permit them to go to the Internet).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card