Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

What is the benefit of using POE than AC Power?

Hi,

We are currently research on what is the benefit of POE over AC Power for wireless AP.

Most of AP we are using is 1252 and 1142.

Anyone can tell the different?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

With PoE, you can remotely reset the AP if the AP becomes un-manageable.

With PoE, you can set when a device powers down.

With PoE, you only have one power point. 

Hi,

Try to plan to install both scenarios and you'll know the difference yourself.

Besides what Leo mentioned, imagine that you are going to use AC power and for every AP you are going to install a power outlet close to the AP to power it up.

Now, if later you decided to change the AP location you need to install a new power outlet in the new place. The old power outlet is usually left wihtout use. extra cabling, extra waste of resources (materials, man power...etc).

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yes.  You can disable the power to the AP from the switch port.  Use the command "power inline never" on an interface-level will cut the power.  Use the "no power inline never" to enable power to the switch port.

Sure, let's say that it's the weekend and you want to power your AP and your VoIP phone.  You can enable EnergyWise to disable the power during the weekend and enable the power back during weekdays.

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi,

Try to plan to install both scenarios and you'll know the difference yourself.

Besides what Leo mentioned, imagine that you are going to use AC power and for every AP you are going to install a power outlet close to the AP to power it up.

Now, if later you decided to change the AP location you need to install a new power outlet in the new place. The old power outlet is usually left wihtout use. extra cabling, extra waste of resources (materials, man power...etc).

HTH

Amjad

Thanks all for the comments..

Currently we have the AC Power outlet on all the AP. We are wondering the benefit that more then AC Power.

I think Laohaoo somehow get me to the right direction but i need to know more details..

With PoE, you can remotely reset the AP if the AP becomes un-manageable.  (What do you mean? Any article on this?)

With PoE, you can set when a device powers down. (I dunno what it mean?)

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yes.  You can disable the power to the AP from the switch port.  Use the command "power inline never" on an interface-level will cut the power.  Use the "no power inline never" to enable power to the switch port.

Sure, let's say that it's the weekend and you want to power your AP and your VoIP phone.  You can enable EnergyWise to disable the power during the weekend and enable the power back during weekdays.

Thanks Laohoo!

The explaination is good enough!! Cheers!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The explaination is good enough!

If you plan to consider "scheduling" when you want to power down your APs, let me know.  I've got working config already.

And thanks for rating our posts. 

Another benefit of PoE, typically you have UPS/power conditioning etc present powering your network switches, thus preventing power related outages/damage to your AP's...

Another benefit for POE from the switchport is removing the adapater as a potential point of failure? Same applies if you can take a power injector out the equation and power it all from the switch. I've had plenty of injectors 'die' on sites with each one requiring tshooting and then a replacement being sent out. It all adds up to support costs .

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts
Views
Helpful
Replies