cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the impact of removing a data rate?

ROBERT T
Level 4
Level 4

I want to remove 11mbps on my 4404 running 7.0.250.0. I understand that any client on that data rate will be dropped or moved to a higher data rate, if available. But in general, are clients connected at a higher data rate affected when I remove this slower data rate?

2 Replies 2

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Client connected at a higher data rate ideally will not be affected when you remove slower data rate but......the rates at which clients operate depends on how far the client is from AP. So if client is near to AP it will operate at higher rate but same when it moves away from the AP the data rates will be dropped to lower level.

Being said that if you done a proper site survey and you are sure that there is enough coverage overlap of non interference channel then you can go ahead and remove the lower rates. It goes with out saying that if you disable 11mbps and below 802.11b devices will not be able to connect.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Yes, this changes wouldn't affect the clients connected to a higher data rate but

If there is some impairment in the communication that requires the clients to fall back to a lower data rate, the clients connected to higher data fails to fall back, and communications fail.

Cisco recommends that WLAN devices are set to communicate at more than one data rate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card