cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What's the most secure WITHOUT a server?

fpineda
Level 1
Level 1

Without the use of a server, what is the most secure way of protecting your WLAN? Aside from non-broadcast SSID, 128-WEP, MAC-filter, and Open key. I’ve heard rumors that you can use LEAP, without a server, but I don’t understand where the user database would go.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I hope not following you in a bad way :)

This can not be done on VxWorks.

Within the foreseable future all AP's will have the option to run IOS so if you have 350's then start with 128bit WEP MAC filters MIC and TKIP then when IOS is available upgrade and migrate to local authentication, at wich time WPA should be starting to be come widely deployed which will give you better options anyway

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

In the latest IOS version you can have the AP work as a authentication server for a limited number of clients

Here are the details

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1100/accsspts/i12211ja/i12211sc/s11local.htm

But what you have described above is pretty good but I would also add MIC and TKIP if you are using Cisco Clients

Thank You Derwin!

You must be following me around! I think that link is exactly what I need. Is there a way, however, to do the same thing in VxWorks?

Thanks again.

I hope not following you in a bad way :)

This can not be done on VxWorks.

Within the foreseable future all AP's will have the option to run IOS so if you have 350's then start with 128bit WEP MAC filters MIC and TKIP then when IOS is available upgrade and migrate to local authentication, at wich time WPA should be starting to be come widely deployed which will give you better options anyway

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card