cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will 350 Brigde work with 340 Bridges?

lordpseudo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network using Cisco 340 Bridges. One of the 340 bridges crapped out and I need it replaced. It seems Cisco replaced the 340 bridge with the 340 bridge and my Cisco distributor (Ingram Micro) informed me that the 350 bridge will not work with the 340 bridge and I need to replace all my bridges. I found this quite hard to believe so I am asking does the 350 bridge work with the 340 bridges?

2 Replies 2

mococa
Level 1
Level 1

Actually, that is not correct. Cisco just does not want to deal with the Tech Support nightmare that would be associated with this issue.

After testing this my self, here is what I found...

Cisco Aironet 340 Bridges were designed with 2 different radio chip sets. The old chip set would not allow you to run 128 bit WEP at speeds 5.5 and 11. The new chip set will allow you to use WEP at all speeds. (NOTE: I have confirmed the chip set WEP differences with an old Aironet Tech that still works for Cisco.)

Now that you know that, I have found that 340 Bidges that use the newer chip set will work without any problems (at least none that I have found yet) with 350 Bridges.

I am running multiple city-wide roaming configurations using a 340 Bridge as a Root and multiple 340 and 350 Bridges as repeaters and I roam, pass data, use Static WEP just fine with out any problems or errors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: