cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Win XP, IBM, Aironet 350 card, bluescreen!!

a.mayat
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to upgrade some IBM T20 laptops running Win XP SP1 to support PEAP. The laptops have been operating without security and had the ACU loaded. Once the ACU is upgraded to 6.0, drivers to 8.30 and firmware to 5.20. from CCO, the setup works fine with no additonal config change. However, as soon as PEAP is enabled in Win XP and the PEAP profile is selected in ACU, the PC will blue screen soon after the user has been authenticated.

The blue screen shows an 'IRQ_not_Equal_to_Or_Less_Than' error message.

Has anybody come across this before?

Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

Do you have a sniffer program loaded ??

does it only happen on the one laptop or all ?

Have you tried it with a very basic windows XP image ( only the essential programs loaded) do you get the same problem

8dstaicu
Level 1
Level 1

I solve this problem by unbinding "Deterministic Network Enhancer" from wireless interface. DNE came with Cisco VPN Client version=>3

Thanks for your help...

I have tried the following combinations on multiple machines:

IBM T20 + MS XP + SP1 - Machines blue screens almost straightaway

IBM T21 + MS W2K + SP3 (with Hotfix) - Works perfectly!

IBM T21 + MS XP + SP1 - Works at first, but has bluescreened once or twice

Dell D600 + MS XP - Seems to work okay.

I think the bluescreens are more likely to occur if the card has been removed and re-inserted.

Do you know if the Cisco drivers are MS XP compliant?

Also, is there any way of making the authentication process quicker on XP? On W2K the user is only prompted to enter credentials, on XP there are two clicks then the password.

The PC's do have DNE (inc. the W2K machine), but I do not want to remove this as users will be using VPN over WLAN too in hotspots.

Thanks for your help

Yes they are compatable but you must run the MS hotfixes for later versions of firmware.

Are you sure the card is the root cause of this and not some other application

remove all services that are not vital then add them one at a time until you find the cause

The same problem here:

Windows XP, HP laptops, Cisco Aironet 350 and D-Link WLAN-adapters, 1100 Aironet AP, EAP-TLS (MS Radius), EAP-TTLS (SecureW2, Odyssey Radius), Cisco VPN Clients 3.6.3, 4.0.1, 4.0.2 => in all combinations bluescreens first exist and then disappear when Deterministic Network Enhancer is disabled. After that 802.1x works fine but no vpn.

Question: How to provide 802.1x with these products wlan security inside company wlans and with the same wlan-adapters also support airport & other public wlans for vpn connections? Without giving users too much permissions.

"We" found a solution: the vpn client must first be uninstalled manually by cleaning all the cisco & dne drivers, registry settings etc. After that the client can be re-installed and things start to work: both 802.1x and vpn can now be enabled on the wlan adapter, no bluescreens or other problems any more.

Special thanks to Cisco TAC, Marco Castro, who did an excellent job by finding us the right solution!

Thank you Marco once more!

// Timo L

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card