Views
Helpful
Replies

Wired guest network

Adam Watts
Level 1
Level 1

A quick question,

Do i need a anchor controller in order to make a guest network work?

I need to be able to authenticate users on a wired network before they are allowed assess onto our network.

i've set up a similar system on our Internet guest network and it works well. that uses a remote anchor controller on our dmz. For this scenario we don't need a remote anchor as we want to put it onto a vlan on our main network.

Any ideas we would be using the on site 5508 controllers hopfully to implement this solution.

Many thanks,

Adam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No an anchor controller is not 'required' to do either Wireless or Wired guest access via the WLC.

Having the anchor is 'best practice' as you are forcing these untrusted devices outside of your LAN.

5508 should work for this like a champ.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No an anchor controller is not 'required' to do either Wireless or Wired guest access via the WLC.

Having the anchor is 'best practice' as you are forcing these untrusted devices outside of your LAN.

5508 should work for this like a champ.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for that Steve,

I'll have a play and see what i can do.

Adam

Hi Steve,

set it up yesterday and was one of the easiest setups i've done in a while. works a treat.

Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: