Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless and CCA with lots of users and controllers

Trying to work out a solution that doesn't make our users religion to CCA when the boot today on one controller and get a new ip tomorrow when power back on with a different controller. CCA tracks users by Mac and ip but when you disconnect in one location and reconnect in another the roaming features of the wireless are not in effect.

Option 1 - create a huge vlan with lots of IP addresses shared across all controllers (not a good idea)

Option 2 - come up with a method to reassign vlans based a group assignment from acs so they always get on the same vlan.

Option 3 - tell them to suck it up deal with it (management has informed me this is not an option)

Option 4 - explore vlan groupings on the Wireless controllers but I does not appear to be "sticky" so user always gets the same vlan and therefore the same ip address.

Option 5 - explore dhcp options to always force a Mac address to the same vlan.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Wireless and CCA with lots of users and controllers

I ran into the same issue at one of my clients.  They have an application that requires the device to retain the same ip address all the time, everywhere and it is mapped to the mac address of the device.  They have around 800+ devices and we had to create one large subnet and they had to use mac reservations for each device.  They already had this in place also, but there was no way we could implement that ssid any different.  The other features that the wlc has, could not be used, due to the fact that you still need all 800+ devices on the same subnet.  Devices that may bootup for an ap in a different ap group will break it and we couldn't take a chance.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies