Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Controller IOS Version Compatability

Hi Friends,

we are in process of implementing Aruba ClearPassNAC solution, right now we have Cisco Cisco Controllers Product Version.5.0.148.2. Aruba supports only WPA2 Enterprise security which we are unable to find in cisco controllers. There is WPA2 tab but it does not reflect that its personal or enterprise. we tried with WPA2 but it give us error on client side that security type mismatch.

only thing I need to confirm is that whether we have to upgrade the ios version of the controller to ver 7.0.235 to support WPA2 Enterprise. Aruba has recommended that version to be on the controllers but I want confirmation from Cisco..

WISM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You need to configure your Layer 2 just like this

You can of course enable TKIP if you'd like.

Are you configuring it the same and it give you mismatch still?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
11 REPLIES

Salam Faisal,

I don't remember if 5.0 version supports WPA2 but in all cases this version is pretty old and it is recommended to upgrade even if WPA2 was supported on it.

7.0.235.0 releaset notes doc shows the upgrade path and it seems you can directly upgrade to 7.0.235.0 image from your current version: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_235_0.html#wp784198

HTH

Amjad

Cisco Employee

According to the snap shot you have attached:

WPA version 2 should be fine , make sure that you select AES encryption only and see how it goes.

Regards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to rate correct answer

Faisal,

if you want to use WPA2-Enterprise you need to change your Auth Key Mgmt to "802.1x".

(of course you need to add your AAA server - which should be your clear pass RADIUS component - to the WLC as well)

regards

Stefan

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I have no idea what you are trying to do but no one in his/her sane mind will recommend you run 5.X controller firmware.

Aruba uses 802.1x authentication so by using 802.1x it also mandatory for Cisco controller to use WPA2 Enterprise not WPA2 personal. current WLC version has WPA2 tab only we tried it but on client side it gives security mismatch error. so i assume that in current version on controller its does not support WPA2 enterprise..

You need to configure your Layer 2 just like this

You can of course enable TKIP if you'd like.

Are you configuring it the same and it give you mismatch still?

Amjad,

i tried that option but its not working

I think we need to know why it is not working. 5.0 is full of bugs that is true but the reason why it fails in your case may not necessarily be related to a bug.

- Try with WPA2 - TKIP. does it work?

- Try to connect with another normal client (laptop for example), does it work?

- What does the radius server say about the fail attempt? check radius logs and see if the username that the Aruba device uses pass radius auth or fail.

HTH

Amjad

i am off for the days thanks for your help I'll update you tomorrow with further Proceedings.

Salam Amjad,

i tried your method and it worked for me thanks for your help..

Hall of Fame Super Gold

All I can say is this:  WLC firmware 5.X is extremely buggy.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content