Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Controller: VLAN and LWAPP mode

If I want to assign specific VLAN to specific SSID (WLAN), do I have to setup the Wireless Controller (4112) running at LWAPP layer 3 mode? Any specific info or link for detailed documentation would be appreciate. I did spend a good amount of time at Cisco tech support site as well as reading the "Configuration Guild" of the controller without luck. There aren't many "cook book" or "faq" doc about wireless controller configuration. And the configuration guild rarely go to any details in explaining any configuration scenario.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Wireless Controller: VLAN and LWAPP mode

No, you can aswell operate the controllers in Layer 2 mode. This wil work fine. VLANs are layer 2 concepts. Yes, if inter vlan routing is required then you have to use layer 3 mode.

No,you do not have too. L2 and L3 mode is between the AP and the wlc. In L2 Mode, AP can discover controller via L2 broadcast. In L3 mode, AP must use DNS name or DHCP option 43 to discover wlc.

m2c

sungy

Thanks for the info. I have the configuration up and running now.

Incase there are someone out there that are in situation similar to my, here are some tips...

(1) the management port need to be in trunk mode, with native vlan (at the switches) set to the same one with your access point. So, if AP is on VLAN 101, then the management port would be "trunk" with native VLAN as 101 too.

(2) create virtual/dynamic interface at the controller, and assign the VLAN number you want

(3) create WLAN and pick the virtual/dynamic interface you create

That is it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content