Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Guest Access - Using cisco35600r 3570 as a DHCP server

Hello all,

I am in in the process of setting up guest access for our wireless network and i am considering using a cisco 3560 or 3750 switch as the Dhcp server.  I dont know how many guest user we will have,  Is there anything to consider when using the 3560/3750 switch as the DHCP server?  Should I be concern about memory of the switch what kind of load can I expect from the switch.  Lets say we have 5,000 guest users. I doubt we will have anywhere near that number more realistic maybe 500.  But I would plan on 5,000.  Is this viable to use the 3560/3570 switch as a DHCP server.

Thank You

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Wireless Guest Access - Using cisco35600r 3570 as a DHCP ser

Hi,

I'm assuming you're using a controller based wireless solution... From the controller/wireless perspective there isn't anything to worry about. The DHCP traffic from the clients is simply forwarded to the DHCP server. Therefore this question would probably be better posted on the switching forums.

Generally, I'd say 500 users are definitely not a problem and since DHCP snooping bind table will hold up to 8192 bindings this shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps :-)

Views
Helpful
Replies