Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless guests using web authentication time out after 20 minutes

aoshea
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support

I have a Guest WLAN that uses web authentication via a 4404 WLAN controller and ACS box. It works but every 20 minutes the session times out and they have to re-authenticate again to get wireless access.

We have other WLANs for phones and laptops and these uses WPA and do not have problems.

I am going to have a look at this tomorrow when no one is in the office, any assistance is appreciated even if it is just to say it to look at the ACS or WLAN controller configuration/s.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards, Adrian.

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Adrian,

This "Session Timeout" is a configurable parameter that is set under the WLAN policy config, have a look;

Here is where this is set (look at number 4);

WLAN Policy Configuration

Refer to the WLANs > Edit page for a description of these parameters.

1. The WLAN SSID box contains the current WLAN 1 SSID. If desired, enter a different SSID.

2. The Radio Policy box contains the default bands controlled by the WLAN 1 policy. If desired, enter a different WLAN 1 policy: 802.11a only, 802.11g only, 802.11b/g only, 802.11a/g only, or All.

3. The Admin Status box contains the default administrative status (unchecked, or disabled). If desired, enable the WLAN 1 policy by checking the Admin Status box.

4.*** The Session Timeout box contains the default 802.11 session timeout (0, or no timeout). If desired, enter a different 802.11 session timeout in minutes.***

5. The Quality of Service (QoS) box contains the default QoS status (Silver, or Best Effort QoS). If desired, enter a different QoS: Platinum = Voice, Gold = Video, Bronze = Background, or leave as Silver = Best Effort. VoIP clients should be set to Platinum, Gold or Silver, while low-bandwidth clients can be set to Bronze.

6. The Allow AAA Override box contains the default AAA Override status (unchecked, or disabled). If desired, enable AAA Override by checking the AAA Override box.

7. The Blacklist Exclusion List Timeout box contains the default client Exclusion List (blacklist) timeout status (checked, or enabled). If desired, disable Exclusion List (Blacklist) Timeout by unchecking the Blacklist Timeout box.

From this WLC configuration doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00805a6974.html#wp1043027

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts...........

Also check your ACS, make sure that in the group the users are authenticating to, doesn't have a reauth timer set.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Many thanks for everyone?s help; I have set the WLAN policy to a time of 0.

After enabling both the aironet extensions and the radius extensions, I have also set the time out on both these to 36000 (I?m assuming the value is in minutes? ... so hopefully should be 10 hours).

Will see how it goes today.

Thanks again, Regards, Adrian.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card