cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN

sakinnusi
Level 1
Level 1

I've got Aironet 340 with the Cisco wireless LAN Adapter card. this works fine when they are both used. I've also got Toshiba Tecra 9000 laptop with built in wireless LAN adapter.

The Toshiba doesn't seems to see the Access Point with its built in adapter, put the cisco PCMCIA in the Toshiba, this works fine, I'd allowed the MAC address of the Toshiba on the Access Point. What are the things I need to do to make the built in Wireless Adapter Toshiba laptop to see the access point. Thanks

5 Replies 5

0r-lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've not used the Toshiba, but i've got some questions here that may help.

Does your SSID and WEP match that of the Access Point? What is the how many bits does the encryption on the Toshiba support?

Regards,

Ron

mano
Level 1
Level 1

Firstly unless yr AP controls all MAC address its not a problem with the following

1) Ensure u have set the WEP key.

2) Check whether LEAP and EAP are enable, this may be the fact that u are not associated with the AP

3) Check with the SSID, Session IDs must be the same and no necessarily the same with the WEP key.

Hopefully this works.

daveman
Level 1
Level 1

I am actually having similar problems with the Tecra 9000.

This is what I would do first.

1) Find out which mini-PCI card you have installed on the Toshiba. Toshiba has offered both the Cisco MPCI-350 card and Lucent’s Orinoco Gold mini PCI card in their new laptops. They have just started offering the Cisco cards so you most likely have an Orinoco card. Either way be sure to check this first. Once you have found which one, go to Toshiba's web site and install the proper client utility and drivers (the lucent Orinoco software is labeled as “Toshiba WiFi” on Toshiba’s site, but Cisco is identified as their own).

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0518784574.1008745526@@@@&BV_EngineID=fadcckfeljdfbfekcghcfmfdgll.0

2) Next you need to know what your wireless environment is. Are you running all Cisco AP's and cards and using LEAP authentication? If not, what authentication schemes are you using? MAC address authentication, EAP-TLS (win XP), or only 128-bit WEP?

3) Then you want to configure your new client utility for your wireless environment. So you will need to know your SSID, shared secret if WEP is used and or configure it for any EAP type authentication you're using.

Here are some pieces of advice... Almost all the mini-PCI cards in Toshiba laptops are capable of 128-bit WEP encryption. Only the early Tecra 8200's came with 40-bit WEP Orinoco mini-PCI's. Both the 8200's and the 9000's are upgradeable to Cisco's MPCI-350 card too.

If you are in a Cisco LEAP wireless environment, do not install Toshiba’s version of the Cisco ACU (Aironet Client Utility). Their install package is pre-built with LEAP turned off. You will have to download the ACU from Cisco's software site instead.

I have yet to get a Cisco mini PCI to work on a Tecra 9000 though and I'm pretty sure it's not because I am using LEAP. I have installed the same card on my Tecra 8200 and it works great.

If I find a fix to my problem with the 9000 I will be sure to post it.

Good luck!

Here's another thought... Lucent / Agere / Orinoco Access points require you to enter the WEP key in ASCII (7-bit!!!). Since the Aironet key is HEX, you can use the 8th bit. Perhaps the Toshiba client is treating the WEP key you enter as ASCII and thus will never match.

If this is the case, the solution (get-around :-) would be to enter a HEX key that maps to known ASCII, e.g. 0x 30 31 32 33 == "0123".

zappolinom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

try to look at the AP if you have enabled short Radio Headers or not. The short Radio Headers will work only with cisco Cards that have enabled this feature too. Also take a look at the Aironet extensoins if they are activated at the AP Firmwareimage, if they are yozu must disable them to use non cisco cards. That was my problem with the built in WLAN Card in my Toshiba Laptop.

Also only Static wep is possible.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card