cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM 4.2.130 Code

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

Currently running 4.2.112 code on our WiSM. Wondering if it is ok to move up to 4.2.130. When doing so is there a procedure you follow with a number of AP1131s on each controller?

Since school started the other day we have been getting calls about wireless being down in certain room. A reboot of the AP solves the issue. Reading release notes for 4.2.130 but not sure if there is anything in there for this issue.

Craig

5 Replies 5

rsumpter
Level 1
Level 1

That's interesting...we are having the same issue. We are also running 4.2.112 on multiple WiSMs. We have no indication from the WLC or WCS that there is a problem with the APs. Did you see something in the release notes that maybe related to the issue? TAC hasn't indicated to me that this isn't a known issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rob

It is okay to upgrade to 4.2.130 since it has the gold stamp from Cisco. If you do the upgrade, I would suggest you move all your ap's from the WLC you with to upgrade first. Set the primary to the other WLC and disable ap fallback. You don't want the ap's to join the WLC when the upgrade is done. After the upgrade, move 6 ap's at a time by changing the primary back to the upgraded WLC. You can reset the ap an let the ap find the primary and then it will download the code. Wait for the ap to come up and then you can move onto the next 6. I have seem issues if more than 6 ap's try to join and download code at the same time. Be safe so you are not visiting ap's that got hung from the upgrade.

Also, what issues were you seeing that indicated that you need to reboot the ap?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the information. I think I found the issue with the AP reboots. It was a DHCP pool shortage. We have a WLAN that has a VPN device for authentication. Students associate with the WLAN and get a private IP. Once they authenticate they get a public IP. Problem we are seeing is there are devices around campus that associate with the WLAN automatically but don't authenticate. They have depleted our private IP pool.

Craig

As you add more and more APs to a controller the process of upgrading the controller looks to become more laborsome. So you really need to move all the APs off before the upgrade? If you only one controller what would you do?

Craig

It is more trouble but that is just how it is. 6 ap's is the amount that can be upgraded at one time. If you have one wlc, then I would suggest shutting the ports the ap's are connected to and bringing only 6 ports up at a time.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card