Views
Helpful
Replies

WISM and WCS configuration.

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I got a chance to configure a large campus network, with two 6509s in the core. The big part is wireless (Cisco 1252 APs - 200 Nos). The core switches are fully redundant with WISM, FWSM modules and line cards. Sup720 is there. We are planning to go for VSS. How can i configure WISM and WCS in such a situation? In additon, WCS and ACS are in the network. I hope you guys can guid me in a proper way. Thanks in advance.

The logical diagaram attached.

Rgds,

Shijo.

6 Replies 6

r-tyrell
Level 1
Level 1

I currently work in an environment with over 400 1252s and 3 WiSMs.  2 of the WiSMs are located in 2 different VSS chassis bundles.  No issues here.  I connect to them no differently than a WiSM in a non-VSS configuration.

On the VSS switches, I use the following syntax to reach them via command line :

session switch(1 or 2) slot 9 proc (1 or 2)

-Rick

Hi Rick.

Thanks for ur reply. Actually for the first time am going to do WISM and WCS configurations. As an experianced techie can u guide through the step by step configurations ? I found some documents online, is that enough to make a sucessfull implementation.

Rgds,

Shijo.

The best thing you can do is start with the Configuration Guides.  If you don't have a test environment and have SMARTNET on the WiSMs/ WCS, utilize TAC to help you get up and going.  I would also suggest utilizing a Cisco Partner to help with the initial implementation as well.

I would recommend upgrading your WiSMs and WCS to the latest versions and making sure configurations are the same across modules.  I upgraded our WiSMs from 4.x to 7.0.98.0 and WCS to 7.x.  Ran into a bug here and there but that is expected.  Just make sure the wireless devices support those versions.  If you are unsure, you can always work towards the AssureWave tested code.  WCS 7.x should be backwards compatible (check the release notes just to verify).  The Design Zone and Release Notes are your friend too.

-Rick

Hi Rick,

Let raise a  few more queries.

1. Once WISM is configured properly the APs automatically discouver it and will be registered. Suppose AP1 is registered with with WISM 1 Controller 1, what will happen if the controller or the WISM itself went down? Does the AP discover the next available controller or WISM?

2. What all things i required to make a DHCP environement ?

Rgds,

Shijo.

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Indeed, the only difference in Wism configuration when you have VSS is that you have to mention the switch number in the wism commands.

Example :

wism module 1 controller 1 allowed-vlan x,y,z

becomes

wism switch 1 module 1 controller 1 allowed-vlan x,y,z

Best regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for ur reply.

Shijo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: