Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wism2 HA design

We currently have two wism2 controllers installed in two 6509s running in vas mode. We are running 7.3 code. Each wism2 is licensed for 500 access points. We had under 250 access points on each controller and they backed each other up. Now we are adding more access points and have more than one controller can handle. So we purchased a HA wism. What would be the best design? We were going to purchase a 2nd HA and pair each primary with a HA. Or will one HA do the trick? We are getting ready to deploy VoIP wifi phones soon and need to make sure failover is fast.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

16 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wism2 HA design

WiSM2 can support up to 1000 APs.

How many APs are you going to have in total?

Re: Wism2 HA design

We will end up with over 600 but it was twice as much to buy the extra 500 licenses per controller.

VIP Purple

Hi Eric,

A HA Pair can be established between two WLCs running in these       combinations:

One WLC has a valid AP Count license and the other WLC has a HA SKU UDI

Both the WLCs have a valid AP Count license

One WLC has an Evaluation license and the other WLC has a HA SKU UDI or Permanent license.

To find more detail about deployment, please follow this docuement:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

High availability (HA) in WLC 7.3 Release – An Introduction

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26827#High_availability_supported_platforms

NOte: 

Please note that there are still many open issues with HA. so still prefer using redundant WLCs because of the these issues.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wism2 HA design

We will end up with over 600 but it was twice as much to buy the extra 500 licenses per controller.

That's not correct.  You'll pay more if you get another WiSM2 with only 500 AP as compared to upgrading the license of your current WiSM2 to 1000.

Now here's the kicker.  Say you have two WiSM2 with 500 AP licenses each.  And you want to enable HA SSO.

You can get license@cisco.com to rehost 450 AP licenses from your 2nd WiSM2 into your 1st WiSM2.  50 AP licenses is the minimum requirement for the 2nd WiSM2 for HA SSO. 

Leo, not true. Cisco will only rehost anything besides the base license on the Wism2. So if they were ordered with a 500 base, you cannot rehost any of them.
If you ordered them with 250 and added 250 you would only get 250 rehosted.

While I agree with jake ... Working with your Cisco rep helps out a lot :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Let me ask you this. We replaced our original wisms with the wism2s. We have no use for the wisms. Any chance we can rehost those licenses and add the to our wism2s? I think we had 300 licenses on each wism.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wism2 HA design

Any chance we can rehost those licenses and add the to our wism2s?

Nope.  You can, however, trade-in those old WiSMs using Cisco Technology Migration Program.  Not sure how much you'll get them, though. 

From what I have been reading the AP SSO has not been working well. Should we try it to see how it works?

VIP Purple

Eric Lindsey wrote:

From what I have been reading the AP SSO has not been working well. Should we try it to see how it works?

try on your own risk: Before AP SSO configuration go through this guide:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-32259

Regrds

I would disagree .. Get on 7.4 MR1 it's much better. MR2 is coming out very soon ...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Thanks for the info. I have been checking out version 7.5 as well. But we would need to upgrade to Prime 1.4 and our MSE would need upgraded to 7.5 which I do not see available yet.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

MSE v7.5 is out, but licensing changes also. You will need to see how the license will or will not affect you.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Some things to consider:

7.4 introduced HA N+1 which you can do without risking SSO. The thing to think about in the single HA WiSM2 vs the dual HA WISM2 is what if I lose the 6500 chassis that has the WISM2 and the HA WISM2.

With 7.4 N+1 HA you can also have a 5508 port channeled across both 6500 and it will support up to 500 AP. That should back up both 500 AP wism2, but you can never do SSO.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_HA_Overview.html

That's the official licensing response. Not everyone has that kind of pull.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

George is somewhat right. Haha... Here is my take.

You either have to spend $$$$$ and your sales rep will work magic, or else your out of luck. TAC licensing will not make it happen. Has to be done internally.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies