cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSMs appear to be auto-containing rogues

John.Gerlach
Level 1
Level 1

(This appears to be the converse situation of another relatively recent post. I thought it might be better to have a separate thread rather than muddy up that conversation).

I have a relatively new deployment of 8 WiSMs controllers (4 of which are currently production and 4 are available for failover). The WiSMs are running code v5.2.157.0 and I have about 50 AP1252's split between the 4 production controllers.

We also have WCS v5.2.130.0 in the environment to manage the controllers. I am a little concerned by some messages I am seeing on the WCS which seem to indicate the WiSMs are auto-containing rogues even though I have verified there are no Auto-Contain features enabled on any of the WiSM controllers.

Here is a sample of a WCS log entry which concerns me:

Rogue AP '00:23:75:07:68:b0' with SSID 'qwest5184' and channel number '4' is detected by AP 'xxxx-2-a4' Radio type '802.11b' with RSSI '-92' and SNR '5'. RogueAP contained.

I can dig up more of these but all seem to indicate an action is being taken on Rogue APs even though we specifically have these options unselected (under Security | Wireless Protection Policies | Rogue Policies | General) and their are no Rogue Rules defined either.

Is there anywhere else I should be checking where something like this could be enabled?

I need to make sure I am not being a problem before I can go to my neighbors and expect the same.

Thanks for any ideas.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WEIRD! Auto-Contain Rogue AP is disabled by default.

Go to Security -> Wireless Protection Policies -> Rogue Policies -> General.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you verify that Auto-Contain of Rogue AP is disabled?

I have verified that each of the controller has these options inactive on the following screen:

(under Security | Wireless Protection Policies | Rogue Policies | General)

If there is somewhere else I should be looking, I would be relieved to hear it.

Did you get a resolution to this?

I have the same issue, but am unsure if my WLC's are auto containing rogues, or whether WCS is just falsely reporting the containment.

I see no auto containment setting anywhere on my WLC (4.2.170.0), so I doubt very much it is auto containing.

Anyone know where I can check/look?

My WCS version is 5.2.130.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card