cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSMs appear to be auto-containing rogues

John.Gerlach
Level 1
Level 1

(This appears to be the converse situation of another relatively recent post. I thought it might be better to have a separate thread rather than muddy up that conversation).

I have a relatively new deployment of 8 WiSMs controllers (4 of which are currently production and 4 are available for failover). The WiSMs are running code v5.2.157.0 and I have about 50 AP1252's split between the 4 production controllers.

We also have WCS v5.2.130.0 in the environment to manage the controllers. I am a little concerned by some messages I am seeing on the WCS which seem to indicate the WiSMs are auto-containing rogues even though I have verified there are no Auto-Contain features enabled on any of the WiSM controllers.

Here is a sample of a WCS log entry which concerns me:

Rogue AP '00:23:75:07:68:b0' with SSID 'qwest5184' and channel number '4' is detected by AP 'xxxx-2-a4' Radio type '802.11b' with RSSI '-92' and SNR '5'. RogueAP contained.

I can dig up more of these but all seem to indicate an action is being taken on Rogue APs even though we specifically have these options unselected (under Security | Wireless Protection Policies | Rogue Policies | General) and their are no Rogue Rules defined either.

Is there anywhere else I should be checking where something like this could be enabled?

I need to make sure I am not being a problem before I can go to my neighbors and expect the same.

Thanks for any ideas.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WEIRD! Auto-Contain Rogue AP is disabled by default.

Go to Security -> Wireless Protection Policies -> Rogue Policies -> General.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you verify that Auto-Contain of Rogue AP is disabled?

I have verified that each of the controller has these options inactive on the following screen:

(under Security | Wireless Protection Policies | Rogue Policies | General)

If there is somewhere else I should be looking, I would be relieved to hear it.

Did you get a resolution to this?

I have the same issue, but am unsure if my WLC's are auto containing rogues, or whether WCS is just falsely reporting the containment.

I see no auto containment setting anywhere on my WLC (4.2.170.0), so I doubt very much it is auto containing.

Anyone know where I can check/look?

My WCS version is 5.2.130.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card