cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Client Roaming

rshick
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLAN deployment with around 40 APs and dual WLC4400's. For some reason the clients seem too "sticky" to their first associated AP and don't roam. How can the system be tuned to make them roam to other AP's better?

18 Replies 18

Not yet. I have only been communicating remotely. I will be on site tomorrow. Do you feel that the issues are more related to the wireless client (M100) than the infrastructure?

It's basically a compatiblity problem. There are known issues with client server based solutions like Citrix and SAP being used with the LWAPP solution. What we are trying to do with these suggested changes is to mitigate that roam times as much as possible so as to preserve the client server connection. Unfortunately, we are only able to do this on the infrastructure side as you have stated there are no roaming settings in the m100. Client devices are 95% of the problem when dealing with wireless.

Dennis is correct.... if you notice that the user doesn't roam well and it causes the devices to have a poor signal when moving away from the associated AP, you might try to disable 1mbps and 2.2mbps and see if that forces the user to roam. If not, then listen to what Dennis told you about the driver for the wifi card. If the cards roam okay but takes too long to associate to another, in which the user looses his or her citrix session, then you must look at using the persistent client in citrix. This will help keep the session while the device roams.... But if the device doesn't roam and you have to reboot in order to associate to a nearby AP, then you should look at the driver or a new device.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

These are are great suggestions and comments. Thank you both for your help. I will update this tomorrow after my testing.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card