Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Wireless Controller Mobility Group Question

nleachman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking into adding either WLSE or Wireless Controllers to manage our AP's, and have been reading through the posts here and the CCO guides to get a handle on the Controllers because I have not worked with them.

In the Controller Configuration Guide there is a statement "Note that all Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers in a mobility group must use the same LWAPP Layer 2 or

Layer 3 mode, or you will defeat the Mobility software algorithm."

In my network I have about 25-1232's at a large remote mill site and 12-1231's on the central campus; so I would expect to have a couple of controllers at the remote site and probably two at the central site (for redundnacy).

Considering that, I'm not sure I understand the Group or L2/L3 heirarchy possibilities that are available with the controllers.

For instance - would I create a L2 Mobility Group at the remote site and then a L3 Group between the remote site and the central campus?

I may not have explained this as well as I could have; but I'm essentially looking for an explanation of that line above from the config guide.

Thanks,

Nick

1 Reply 1

jaredlt
Level 1
Level 1

I use Layer 3 for ease of managing all of your controllers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card