Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

WLC 4402 setup

I'm trying to create a testing wlan and here's my scenario. I could successfully test my wlan using just the basic setup and all worked out well. I could connect WLC on WCS and connected ap1232g on the available port and all ran smooth as planned just by playing safe in same subnet and without creating any vlans or using switches.

My problem started when I brought out my WLC box and connected on c2950 switch. The switch itself seemed to be fine and already configured with ports assigned to separate vlans. But no matter how I tried/reset, I noticed that neither WLC box nor the switch doesn't have link status light come up on the assigned port. Now, I'm stuck at that point that wlc won't even get connected to switch and have a feeling I'm not even supposed to be putting/using WLC box on c2950 or I need to configure those boxes other way around.

should it be like this?

wlc-interfaces (VLAN) ---trunk--> c2950 ---> network ---> APs

I will be waiting for your reply and please let me know if you need more info for the setup.

Thanks in advance.

Zwe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: WLC 4402 setup

Hi Zwe,

First can you please confirm to which port on 2950 you are connecting your controller? If it is not a gig port then link will not come up. WLC have SFC module which is 1000 base and it will only come up if it gets connected to 10/100/1000 or some gig port.

Also once link is up you have to configure 2950 port as trunk port to make your unified wireless network up and running.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Zwe,

First can you please confirm to which port on 2950 you are connecting your controller? If it is not a gig port then link will not come up. WLC have SFC module which is 1000 base and it will only come up if it gets connected to 10/100/1000 or some gig port.

Also once link is up you have to configure 2950 port as trunk port to make your unified wireless network up and running.

HTH

Ankur

Community Member

Hi Ankur,

I'm using a regular port with RJ45 from 2950 to my controller. I notieced there's a fiber connection on the switch but I have no gbic adapter at the moment. I think what you told me could be the problem. Because on my first set up, I used my wall jack which is a gig port and connected to wlc and it worked out fine though I did play around with a few settings on autonegotite and speed but didn't see any difference.

So, as you said, I must have at least a gig connection on the switch for my wlc port.

My another question is would it be possible to use the vlan we already created on our core switch and use them on WLC or I will have to create new vlans on the controller and trunk them back to other switches??

Thanks for your help.

Zwe

Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Yes it is possible to use the same vlan which you have already created on your core switch and use the same on WLC.

But even if you want you can create a seperate vlan for WLC management purpose and extend that vlan to your switch network. But it is absolutely ok to extend your existing vlan for your WLC.

So it all depends on how you want your vlan design and other stuff.

HTH

Ankur

Community Member

Ankur,

Thanks for all your help. I just got it all up and running in its own wireless vlan. I believed there might have been misconfiguration with the vlan that caused the trouble.

Take care,

Zwe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content