Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wlc 4404 and high avaibility

If i have 2 WLC 4404 that support 100 Access Points for one and i have installed 110 Access Point, can i you decide when a WLC go down which are the 10 Access Point that must stay down?

thanks for your help

fcostalunga

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: wlc 4404 and high avaibility

Let me understand your question.

You have two WLC and each can support 100 AP. You have 110 APs. If one of the WLC should go down, how can you configure or tell which 10 AP's will be unable to join?

If this is your question, here are some solutions I can think of.

1. H-REAP. If you enable H-REAP to all your AP's, when one or ALL of your WLCs should go down, the AP's will be able to operate as if the WLC were up. The exception-to-the-rule is DO NOT reload the AP's and this should be fine.

2. You can configure, via CLI only, 100 AP's the primary and secondary controller. 10 AP's will have no config so they will go into "limbo".

Hope this helps.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

9 REPLIES

Software Version 4.2.61.0

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Let me understand your question.

You have two WLC and each can support 100 AP. You have 110 APs. If one of the WLC should go down, how can you configure or tell which 10 AP's will be unable to join?

If this is your question, here are some solutions I can think of.

1. H-REAP. If you enable H-REAP to all your AP's, when one or ALL of your WLCs should go down, the AP's will be able to operate as if the WLC were up. The exception-to-the-rule is DO NOT reload the AP's and this should be fine.

2. You can configure, via CLI only, 100 AP's the primary and secondary controller. 10 AP's will have no config so they will go into "limbo".

Hope this helps.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thanks for the rating.

Cisco Employee

The feature you are after is AP Priority and it is available in 5.1 and later.

Leaving Pri/Sec/Ter blank will not guarantee that the APs won't join the backup WLC as this doesn't stop them from sending discovery requests.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Mat,

Is this "AP Failover Priority"?

To assign a priority designation to an access point that allows it to reauthenticate after a controller failure by priority rather than on a first-come-until-full basis, use the config ap priority command.

Thanks for pointing this out. +5

yeah we were on the stable 4.2.176, and decided to upgrade to 5.2.178 just to take advantage of the failover priority feature.

can you tell me where you read this article?

I readed the release notes for 5.2.178 but i don't find where explain this problem.

Can you post me a link , where explain the problem of the priority of the single APs.

Thanks for your help

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thanks for the rating Francesco.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content