Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLC 526 Certificate Warning

My customer has a WLC 526 with 10 access points, which has been installed for two years at a short term vacation rental business on the beach.  People get confused and alarmed when they connect to the configured wireless guest network and receive the certificate warning page (image below).  It was my understanding that a certifcate from a trusted certificate authority can be purchased to stop these messages and the endless calls to the rental office by guests asking what they should do.  However, I have looked high and low for the documentation detailing how a certificate can be added and came up with nothing.  If a certificate can be installed, the customer will buy one from GoDaddy.

Can anyone point me to specific documentation with step by step instructions on how to install a trusted certificate? 

Barring that, is there any way to stop the computers that login to the guest network from geting the warning message?

CertWarn.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: WLC 526 Certificate Warning

I found one document lists the features of WLC526 and comparse it to other CUWN wireless lan controllers.

http://tiny.cc/sttscw

at the bottom of the table it shows that third party certificates are not supported on WLC526 while they are supported on other CUWN controller models.

Sorry for the bad news. :-(

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Here is a doc to generate a CSR and installing a chained cert.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080a77592.shtml

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

You can disable https on the WLC also, but thy would also disable wing able to https to the WLC.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott, thanks for your quick reply.  I went to the document you referenced in your link.  It states that it applies to the 4400 WLC (see below excerpt from document).  The controller my customer has is a WLC 526.  The document describes two ways to download a certificate.  The one method using the GUI is not present on the WLC 526 controller, which leads me to believe it also cannot be done using the cli on the controller.   The firmware version on the customer's controller is 5.2.193.0.

I would rather install a certificate, but if that proves impossible, how do you disable SSL? I need to do something here.

Components Used

The information in this document is based on these software and hardware versions:

• Cisco 4400 WLC that runs firmware version 5.1.151.0

• OpenSSL application for Microsoft Windows

• Enrollment tool that is specific to the third-party certification authority (CA)

WLC 526 menu.

Well the doc helps with generating a CSR which you need in order to get a cert. search the forum and you might find how I upload it.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2132645

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott,

I did extensive searches on Cisco's web site and forums as well as Google searches even before I posted.  They all turned up nothing.  I just got on the controller to look at the available CLI commands to see if "transfer" is available.  It is not.  Some of the menu items have submenus.  The show submenu has a certificate command that let's you see the certificate settings, but nothing including the "config" menu has a "transfer" option or anything else that may resemble a way to upload a new certificate.

There really doesn't appear to be a way to upload a certificate.  I tried another poster's remedy for disabling SSL and thereby disabling the certificate warning.  I won't know if that works until I can go to the customer's facility.

Below are the WLC 526's top level CLI available commands.

I will have to see what I can find. I have never touched those.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Anthony:

I think this is a limitaiton for 526 controller. it lacks many features.

For example and as I remember, there are no TACACS+ configuration under security-> AAA tab for this controller.

It is a device limitaiton actually and I think the certificate limitation is the same. But I am not able to find a document that lists the limiataions for this device. I'll provide a doc if I find one.

Thanks.

Amjad

I found one document lists the features of WLC526 and comparse it to other CUWN wireless lan controllers.

http://tiny.cc/sttscw

at the bottom of the table it shows that third party certificates are not supported on WLC526 while they are supported on other CUWN controller models.

Sorry for the bad news. :-(

Amjad

Thank you, Amjad, for finding that document.  I searched for a long time to find some information about whether third party certificates are supported on the WLC 526.

It is surprising and disappointing at the same time that Cisco would present a product to the marketplace that inherently throws up a security warning and then provides no way to resolve the matter.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content