Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 -- bitrate limit for an SSID?

Can the WLC 5508 do bandwidth limiting for a specific SSID?

I would like to have a passwordless public SSID that anyone can use, but which has a bandwidth cap of 512 kilobit/sec so that public users cannot monopolize our 10 meg Internet connection.

I don't want to throttle ALL wireless users to 512 kb/sec. Another private SSID on the 5508 should have access to the full Internet bandwidth for authenticated laptop users.

Can the 5508 do this itself, or will I have to use another box in addition to it, like squid with delay pools? We have a limited budget so I do not want to spend extra on another box like the ASA just to rate limit the one public SSID.

I am not a CNE, but I have basic familiarity with the 5508 GUI and the command line.

2 Replies 2

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dale,

What you can do is set QoS roles with bandwidth limitations and assign that to the public SSID users. I'd suggest you read the config guide on that feature.

Note that it only limits the download speed (the AP can affort to wait before sending traffic to client) but it cannot prevent the client to use the full wireless upload bandwidth (you can't prevent someone to use the air). Note also that it affects wireless bandwitdh only. So it will impact internet usage as well but is a different matter.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate useful answers

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While the controller can do this, to some extent, you are always best served by rate limiting at the edge.  If you want the guests to not be able to use the full CIR of your internet access, you should rate limit there, and  not downstream at the WLC.

As Nico said, with the WLC, we can only restrict the traffic once it gets to us from the internet, so it's still going to have to traverse the network from edge to controller.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: