Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC 5508 rebooted but still showing high uptime

Hi all,

I had to reboot our production WLC 5508 last night to apply a new adder license, which increased our AP count by 25.

We run a DMZ mobility controller alongside the primary controller, which handles our mobile/guest WLANs using a Mobility Anchor. Normally we would reboot both of these due to issues with the anchor after the primary is rebooted.

So last night I rebooted the primary after installing the new adder license. Once it came back up, I checked the license count and it had increased as per the new license. After that I rebooted the mobility controller, and waited to ensure that this came back up.

Almost straight away, all the AP's had re-associated with the primary (all 96 of them), and clients were starting to show up. I checked the same on the mobility controller (although this does not manage any AP's) and I could see mobility clients associating with this also.

The problem came this morning, when none of the mobility clients that were connected to the mobiltiy WLANs were able to get to the Internet, or any kind of outside connection. This is the typical issue we see when our core switch gets rebooted, or the primary on its own, without rebooting the secondary.

So to troubleshoot this morning the first thing I suddenly noticed was the uptime on the primary controller. It showed 298 days!!

Anyone seen this behaviour before? The WLC DID reboot - I watched it go down and POST again. Why would the uptime counter not reset?

We're on firmware 7.2.111.3 - which I realise is pretty old, but due to CIsco screwing us over with a limited upgrade path, we are not able to upgrade it yet (AP hardware not supported on any of the newer code above this version).

Any help appreciated!

6 REPLIES

Re: WLC 5508 rebooted but still showing high uptime

Just to clarify/point out, we managed to resolve the mobility connectivity issues by rebooting our Astaro filtering box (for some reason this decided it didnt want to parse traffic after rebooting the mobility WLC).

The issue I'm wanting some assistance with relates to the uptime counters not clearing.

Thanks!

VIP Purple

Can you post output from WLC:

sh sysinfo

Regards

In response to Sandeep, here's the sh sysinfo output:

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 7.2.111.3
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0
Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console 1.27
Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... UK***********
System Location.................................. Slough CoLo
System Contact................................... Greg Dent
System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069
IP Address....................................... 172.17.1.40
Last Reset....................................... Software reset
System Up Time................................... 0 days 3 hrs 42 mins 23 secs
System Timezone Location.........................

Configured Country............................... Multiple Countries:GB,RU,US
Operating Environment............................ Commercial (0 to 40 C)
Internal Temp Alarm Limits....................... 0 to 65 C
Internal Temperature............................. +44 C
External Temperature............................. +26 C

--More-- or (q)uit
Fan Status....................................... OK

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled
State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled
Number of WLANs.................................. 7
Number of Active Clients......................... 794

Burned-in MAC Address............................ **************
Power Supply 1................................... Present, OK
Power Supply 2................................... Present, OK
Maximum number of APs supported.................. 125

As you may notice, the uptime has now reset, but thats because I had to reboot it again this morning. I didnt grab the output before the second reboot. It seems whatever issue caused the uptime counter not to reset didnt occur this time.

Very odd.    

Hall of Fame Super Silver

WLC 5508 rebooted but still showing high uptime

Just out of curiosity... have you tried to fix the issue with the mobility?  That would be a pain to have to reboot all the time.  I have seen issues also when customers have a content filter between the foreign and the anchor WLC.  Many times we have to allow or bypass the connection between the two WLC's.  There is also a new 7.2.115.2 code out there and since that is the same train, your older AP's should still be supported.  I don't think a code upgrade will fix the mobility unless you either disable LAG and put one port of the anchor on the inside for management and the other port into the DMZ, or else see what breaking with the Astaro being in between the two WLC's.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott - I think we've isolated the issue as resting solely with the Astaro - the anchors came back up without an issue and it was accepting clients on the mobility controller even before I rebooted it. The traffic wouldnt go beyond the Astaro though.

The Astaro hangs in-line with the mobiltiy/DMZ controller, which then goes out to our Bluecoat proxy, then finally out via our Internet-as-a-service switchport (we colo all our stuff at a datacentre). LAG is not used on either controller (this causes so many issues its just not worth it).

The Astaro is EOL, so we'll be retiring it soon and putting our mobility clients on OpenDNS to do the filtering.

Cheers

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Yeah... The inline stuff with various content flyers seem to break mobility. At least your going to get rid of that soon:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content