Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC 5508 Security Question

I'm planning on putting an additional WLAN on my WLCs. This WLC is going to be used to access the internal network only. We have two other

WLANs, but there only purpose in life is for dirty internet access. I would say a maximum of 20 people will be using this.

I was going to incorporate the following, but I figured I would ask you guys first for suggestions.

18 Char Key (Multiple symbols, lowercase, uppercase, and numbers)

WPA + AES (Only)

Mac Filtering for WLAN Access

Disabling SSID Broadcast (Which I know isn't really security, but some is better than nothing).

I know you can do MAC Filtering via (Local MAC Database on WLC or by RADIUS). I'm not sure which one would be best?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC 5508 Security Question

The only thing I would change is to use WPA2 with AES not WPA1 with AES. Doing Mac filtering on the wlc is probably the easier way. If you have radius, why not secure your wireless more doing 802.1x like Peap MSCHAP v2?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC 5508 Security Question

The only thing I would change is to use WPA2 with AES not WPA1 with AES. Doing Mac filtering on the wlc is probably the easier way. If you have radius, why not secure your wireless more doing 802.1x like Peap MSCHAP v2?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

WLC 5508 Security Question

Thanks for the suggestion on 802.1x. I've studied it before, just never really played with it. I'm going to check out some best pratices with Cisco on the WLC about this. As far as WPA and WPA2, I meant to put WPA2 instead of WPA, that was a typo on my part.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content