Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

wlc 5508 webauth subnet mask change issue

Recenly l changed the network subnet for a particular wlc interface and scope and also an upstream router and for some reason it would only allow me to use a /24 Host mask as my plan was to go to a /22 mask to allow for over 1000 hosts within this scope.

The Upstream Router which is a  ( RV042 ) had the following original config :

I have noticed this device will not let me change the mask from a /24 to a /22 as you can only change from a pre-defined list of masks and you cannot manually add any either..

New Config

WLC 5508 Controller Interface

Original Config

New Config

Scope

Range : 10.10.1.10 - 10.10.3.254

Mask : 255.255.252.0

Network : 10.0.0.0

Router : 10.10.0.10

When l reconfigure to this addressing the wireless clients connect and get the new dhcp scope details but following this the webauth screen doesn't appear not allowing them to connect meaning there is no routing of traffic / internet access.

If l modify the above interface and scope masks back to a /24 - 255.255.255.0 the the wireless clients connect and webauth appears to prompt them to accept the terms and conditions and connect thus giving them internet access.

It looks like an issue with the mask ? The main reason l am trying to change the subnet addressing is because the standard /24 mask is not providing enough dhcp addresses and we have had times were the scope has been exhausted due to the public connecting and disconnecting as the lease perod of 2 hours holds onto the address before expiring meaning there is not enough available addresses for people to connect.

I would of thought that the upstream router ( RV042 ) even though it is only a /24 mask would still route the traffic coming from a WLC Controller interface with a /22 mask ?

Hopefully someone can suggest a solution ?

Thanks Simon

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: wlc 5508 webauth subnet mask change issue

Simon,

The mask has to be identical on all equipment. If your limitation is that the router can use a /22 mask, then your limited to what the predefined mask are. Maybe you need to see if the predefined mask can be a /16 and use that.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Scott just getting back

Hey Scott just getting back to this issue..   If for instance l can modify the wlc interface and Scope to have a /22 mask ( 1022 Hosts ) and my upstream Router ( Cisco RV042 ) can only provide a /24 or higher mask then does that mean l am still limited to a range of 254 hosts ( /24 Mask ) ?  Would this mean l need to look into replacing my upstream Cisco RV042 VPN Router ?

Views
Helpful
Replies