Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLC 7.5 Release

Do you recommend this version given that it is still fairly new? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: WLC 7.5 Release

Starting in 7.4 you can do HA N+1 (non-SSO) across multiple datacenters. This works just fine, although APs and Clients disconnect and have to reconnect/reassociate.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

17 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

WLC 7.5 Release

Do you recommend this version given that it is still fairly new?

I'm using it.  No issues.

Some of the guys recommend 7.4.110.0.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to you.

VIP Purple

As Leo said, it is depend on your requirement. If you looking for a feature which is not available in 7.4.x or earliear then you have to go with it. Refer below post to see few new features introduced in this code

http://mrncciew.com/2013/09/02/why-i-want-to-go-for-wlc-7-5/

I am running this code in my Guest Anchor WLC (5508) & primararly due to a feature requirement with OEAP600 (Split tunneling for printing). 

Here are some important bugs (I have already encounted) that you should be aware if you are going with 7.5.102.0 code.

1. CSCui69732 - 802.1p tagging value changed, Platinum 6 to5, Gold 5 to 4, Silver 3 to 2

2. CSCui87814Cannot open WLC GUI in Chrome-29 with 'https. {Also impact guest wireless with android devices}

Workaround:

Configure this, save/reboot controller:

config network secureweb cipher-option rc4-preference enable

3. CSCuj18674 - captive portal/wispr support for apple ios7

Below release note will listed all other un-resolved bugs & you need to read & see those are applicable to your environment.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn75.html

Below link should provide information about Wireless Hot Issues based on the reported TAC cases. I normally  keep an eye on this  & see software version I am running having those crtical bugs.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/146/news_cisco/data/syndication/ext/tachi/ExternalWireless.xml

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Silver

WLC 7.5 Release

Thank you gentlemen for the observations. In my case, we are looking for a feature that 7.5 has introduced and that is the ability to have the standby 5508 controller at a different data center (no more limited to 100 meters).

It seems that Cisco however still recommends avoiding this, but it is now possible and this is something we've been looking for.

What is your take on this and how much of a pain is this to setup?

bigcat

VIP Purple

WLC 7.5 Release

Hi Bigcat,

I haven't done this & could not advise you on this.

If it is something Cisco advising to avoid it, then it is better to avoid this rather go against their recommendation & then seek assistance down the line from TAC if it is leading to other issues.

By the way thanks for rating our responses

Rasika

Hall of Fame Super Gold

WLC 7.5 Release

In my case, we are looking for a feature that 7.5 has introduced and that is the ability to have the standby 5508 controller at a different data center

If you want to consider HA SSO, then the Redundant port of the 5508 needs to be directly connected to the other 5508.  Not sure how this is going to be done between the two DC.

Wait a few more days, 7.6.X is coming out and if you are keen with new features.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I don't see how you can have an HA WLC I'm a different DC especially of its a separate layer 3. The primary WLC holds the config which includes the interfaces. So if the primary fails and the HA becomes the active WLC, the interfaces would be connected to a different subnet. Now if the DC's are layer 2 adjacent, then yeah it will work. If you have layer 3 between the DC's then your redundancy would be two Pairs at each location running HA.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

WLC 7.5 Release

Thank you again all for the help. I have been working with a cisco tech and he again has advised against it.

At this point I have dived deeper into this and have read the 7.5 release notes and it does mention that the standby WLC must be L2 adjacent which translates to what we all know. I have seen environments where the same subnets spanned to another site but the networking behind it was expensive (mainly the carrier).

Spanning a subnet to another site can certainly be done but at this point I'd like to know more about its disadvantages. Can you please list some?

What really gets me is that Cisco does not provide their customers with these features on such devices like the 5508. I'm just not too convinced about their reasoning behind it. I'm certain that they can make this work without a problem and finally give it to their customers. This is why I want to also know about the key reasons why the standby controller can't be at another site...... or is it that this feature was, by design, supposed to word with the standby located next to the active one via the SP port? At this point it looks this way but I'd like you guys to see if you can confirm.

thank you

Starting in 7.4 you can do HA N+1 (non-SSO) across multiple datacenters. This works just fine, although APs and Clients disconnect and have to reconnect/reassociate.

WLC 7.5 Release

Nice reminder Jake !

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

WLC 7.5 Release

I was under the impression that N+1 was already an old technology. This statement is directly from Cisco.

Can you confirm?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

WLC 7.5 Release

I wouldn't say that at all... HA with N+1 allows the same configuration as two licensed WLC with an HA WLC.  Many of my clients still use this and we are still deploying this.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

WLC 7.5 Release

Fully licensed WLCs N+1 ,yes. But this is HA N+1.

Think of having a standby WLC in HA mode that allows you connect APs without being fully licensed.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

WLC 7.5 Release

I'm getting all my info directly from Cisco and they confirmed this is already considered old technology regardless of it still being in used and even deployed. They added that APSSO is what customers should be using.

What do you guys think about this?  For example, in a scenario with 2 5508 WLCs, would you go for full SSO with both at one physical location or would you go non-SSO with one WLC in one site and the second WLC at another site?

I may be biased as I am currently fighting issues with an SSO deployment, but 7.4.110 running Non-SSO has been rock solid for me.

SSO:
Pros: single controller to manage
Failover time

Cons: Upgrade complexity
No Interface NAT for OfficeExtend
Requires physical adjacency for RP port
SSO related bugs

Non-SSO
Pros: extra controller to test with
No-SSO related bugs
No physical adjacency requirement

Cons: extra controller to manage
Failover time

WLC 7.5 Release

Hi jsnyder81,

Thank you for the input. I have couple questions.... in terms of licensing, how do you go about the non-SSO deployment with 2 WLCs like the 5508???  For example, if you buy 100 licenses so you could have up to 100 APs connected in one WLC, do you have to buy another set of 100 licenses to install at the second WLC located at another site?

Can you confirm if this is what we call N+1?

bigcat

If you buy the HA SKU WLC that is all that is required, no licenses needed.
I believe you need to have at least 50 AP licenses to convert a non-HA SKU for use in HA, but I'm not sure how that works in N+1.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content