Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and ACL's

stevanp
Level 1
Level 1

How do ACL's work on the WLC?

I am using 4.X ver of software for the WLC with LWAPP APs, like there is any other way.

I have a guest VLAN setup and when I apply an ACL to it, it stops responding. I would think that that ACLs work like ACLs, but that is not the case...and of course, the documentation lacks.

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've used ACLs no problem - what do you mean by 'stops responding'?

You may be blocking some important traffic....

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I have applied an acl that allows access to one server as well as ICMP. When I apply it to the guest VLAN, I have connectivity issues. As in I cannot access the servers to which I gave explicit permission to access.

When I remove the ACL, I can connect to the remote servers.

I finally decided that a ACL on the WLC was not the way to go as I could not find supporting docos on the WLC 4.X software. So, I applied VACLs to the VLAN for the Guest WLAN and it works.

For what it is worth, when we were in the Cisco class for the WCS/WLC, the instructor strongly discouraged the use of ACLs in the WLC. It bogged down the WLC and could be done much more efficiently in the ethernet data switch (in terms of performance).

WJR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card