Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC backup in H-REAP

Hi all, it's possible to have a branch office with your own WLC with APs in "stardard" mode and use the WLC on the HQ as backup in case of the WLC in the branch office is broken?

I'm thinking about configure the branch's APs in the HQ WLC in H-REAP mode. Someone have ever try this config?

Thanks

Enrico.

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WLC backup in H-REAP

Enrico:

What you require is not possible. AP1 can be either local or HREAP regardless of which WLC it is joining. An AP can not change its mode if it moves the join from one WLC to another.

If AP joinign WLC in HQ and HQ WLC goes down it moves to join the secondary WLC (or whatever available WLC it can discover) but it does not change its mode form local to hreap (or vice versa) and there is no piece of configuration that can achieve this on the wireless controller.

It is better to eliminate this requirement and look for a different scenario that better fit in your situation.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
5 REPLIES

Re: WLC backup in H-REAP

Hi,           

If you want to configure the branch office WLCs as HREAP you can but you'll have some limitations:

http://tiny.cc/aw0yiw

It all depends on your auth type that you use. If you have WLANs that utilizing WPA-PSK that is OK. If you, however, have 802.1x/EAP WLAN security you may need to study the case: where is the radius server exist? how clients will authenticate if the local radius is down...etc.

Local mode is recommended though. But if you are OK with the limitaitons of HREAP then you can use them if the WLC is locally exist.

HTH

Amjad

WLC backup in H-REAP

My goal is to have APs in "Local mode" when the WLC at the branch office works and HREAP on WLC HQ when the local WLC is broken.

I think I have to add at least one time the branch office's APs on the WLC HQ and configure it as HREAP, and after reattach it on the local WLC.

So when an AP goes from the branch WLC to HQ WLC it change the mode from Local to HREAP because the HQ WLC know it (previously configured as HREAP)

Maybe on the HQ WLC i see the branch office AP's as "connection lost"? The number of license is for the attached AP or configured?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC backup in H-REAP

License depends on the number of joined access point on the wlc. An access point can only be configured either in local or h-reap/FlexConnect mode. Sonic you have a Branch office, then I would setup the access point as h-reap/FlexConnect and put traffic locally at that site. So in case the wlc is untraceable, the APs still functions and traffic still get places locally. That is your best setup.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

WLC backup in H-REAP

Yes this is true, but using also the HQ WLC can help me when I have to change the configuration during the failure of the branch office WLC.

I know the an AP can only configured for local/hreap mode at the same time but I can put a different configuration for the same AP on two different WLC.

In the setup that I have in mind I use all the features of the local mode when the branch office WLC works and when it's broken I can also make change on my WIFI network because the APs is joined in the HQ WLC in H-REAP mode.

The AP1 on the brach WLC is configure for "local mode" and WLC primary = branch WLC, WLC secondary = HQ WLC

The AP1 on the HQ WLC is configure for "HREAP mode" and WLC primary = branch WLC, WLC secondary = HQ WLC

I'm trying to get 2 WLC to make some tests but for now I have only one in my lab.

Thanks for the reply above

WLC backup in H-REAP

Enrico:

What you require is not possible. AP1 can be either local or HREAP regardless of which WLC it is joining. An AP can not change its mode if it moves the join from one WLC to another.

If AP joinign WLC in HQ and HQ WLC goes down it moves to join the secondary WLC (or whatever available WLC it can discover) but it does not change its mode form local to hreap (or vice versa) and there is no piece of configuration that can achieve this on the wireless controller.

It is better to eliminate this requirement and look for a different scenario that better fit in your situation.

HTH

Amjad

Views
Helpful
Replies