Helpful
Replies

WLC Config Backup to a Remote FTP server using Prime

Rob Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm able to backup WLC configs to the localdisk using TFTP

I'm able to backup WLC configs to the localdisk using FTP

However, when I try to back WLC configs to an FTP server not local to Prime the backups fail (I don't have the exact/vague error MSG in front of me)

My question is simply this:: Can it be done? I've just never tried.....

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Rob,

Yes it is possible & straight forward

As long as you have added your external FTP/TFTP server onto prime (Configure -> FTP/TFTP/SFTP section) with required parameters (username/password for FTP) you should be able to select it as backup destination. In that way you can do  WLC configuration backup to it.

Here is my configuration example using PI 1.4.1, I am sure process is same in 2.0

http://mrncciew.com/2014/01/12/wlc-config-backup-using-prime/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

I also tired it on a 5508 running v7.4.110.0 with SNMPv3 and the backup also works.  I will be upgrading the 5508 for testing some issues on v7.6.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be honest, I've never tried doing file transfer using FTP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Wii App

From PI 2.0, I can't choose a Repository other than the default:)

I guess you can use a CLI template and perform a backup to an FTP server other than PI itself.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi Rob,

Yes it is possible & straight forward

As long as you have added your external FTP/TFTP server onto prime (Configure -> FTP/TFTP/SFTP section) with required parameters (username/password for FTP) you should be able to select it as backup destination. In that way you can do  WLC configuration backup to it.

Here is my configuration example using PI 1.4.1, I am sure process is same in 2.0

http://mrncciew.com/2014/01/12/wlc-config-backup-using-prime/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

thanks guys for your responses.  as mentioned, i'd just never done it before myself and haven't seen many customers except this one who is.

when the customer i'm speaking of tries to backup to the remote ftp server he gets the error msg "failed for all devices".

when i get to the office tomorrow the 1st thing i'll try on my lab server (which is failing too and which is running snmpv3 on that WLC) which is also failing w/ the same msg is change the WLC to snmpv2 and try again.

Just tried it on PI 2.0 and it does work... I'm use to creating the repository from the CLI, but thats only good for the PI backup and doesnt' show up in the GUI. 

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott,

thanks for trying that out.

So you went into Configure -> FTP/TFTP/SFTP and created a remote FTP location and were able to backup the WLC configs to there?

What version of SNMP is the WLC(s) running? v2 or v3

Also Scott,

What model is the WLC(s) and what version of code?

My lab setup is PI 2.0 w/ a single 2504 running 7.4.111.0 that is also failing...

let me know thanks, rob

Right now it's snmpv2 but can try v3 I'm running a 2504 with v7.6. Even though it's not supported on PI 2.0:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

SNMPv3 works fine also.  The default SNMPv3  Authentication Protocol and the Privacy Protocol are different than the default on PI 2.0 so just make sure they match to what you use on the WLC or vice versa.  After PI syncs and the WLC shows up as reachable, I was able to FTP the configuration backup to an external FTP.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I also tired it on a 5508 running v7.4.110.0 with SNMPv3 and the backup also works.  I will be upgrading the 5508 for testing some issues on v7.6.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott,

One last question::

Do you have the Prime 2.0 December update installed (pi_update_2.0-3.zip)?  Is seen under Administration> Software Update-----

I have this version, but when I patched it, I get and error when trying to check for updates... I don't see a Decmember one?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Nevemind... I have 2.0.10

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

k,

so it looks like you have the device update package installed but don't in fact have the December patch installed (pi_update_2.0-3.zip)

thanks again scott for yours as well as rasikanayanajith's help on this case as well as others i seem to always get answered on this forum.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: