cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

WLC Placement

Hello,

I'm getting ready to migrate from standalone AP's to using a 2504 WLC. WLC is new to me and I've read several of the configuration guides, but the one item that keeps escaping me is best practice for the placement of the management interface on our network. I understand the AP's need to be able to route to it, but I'm not sure if this interface should be considered an untrusted connection and be placed in a less restricted VLAN or if this interface is strictly used for management and AP's connecting to it and there is no chance WiFi connected users can gain access to servers should it be placed in our secure VLAN?

My second question is for Guest users and Internet access. Should the interface the WLC is using to for Internet access sit behind a firewall, or can it be placed in front of the firewall?

Thank you,

Denny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

WLC Placement

Guest vlan is tagged, be sure to tag it with dot1q encap on all devices along the path including the router.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

WLC Placement

AP to WLC is point to point capwap connection for management & data traffic unless it is hreap.

Do not map any WLANs on WLC to management interface, this way end users can't directly access the management interface, however you need ACL at L3 if you had intervlan. Also, Don't enable management via dynamic and management via wireless interface.

Map the guest WLAN or untrusted traffic WLANs to dynamic interface of WLC without anchor setup and map the guest user on foreign wlc with dummy interface in case of guest anchor setup. Firewall can be on L3 or ACL at WLC.

Community Member

WLC Placement

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions.

So far I have done the following.

1. Configured the management interface (untagged) on port 1. My 1142 AP discovered and automatically connected to it.
  2. I configured a guest interface (port 2) with an IP address for my guest VLAN and entered the VLAN ID.
  3. I configured my switch port for trunking and set the tag for the guest VLAN.
  4. I setup a WLAN and associated it with the guest interface
  5. I setup an Internal DHCP pool and verified the guest WLAN pointed to it.
  6. Attached a router port to the guest VLAN and assigned an IP in the guest subnet

My test client can connect to the Guest SSID and obtain an IP address from the internal DHCP server. The client can ping the Guest interface.

My problem is, my router cannot ping the guest interface of the WLC and the WLC cannot ping the Interface of the router. The client connected to the guest network cannot ping the routers interface either. To verify the router connectivity, I put a workstation in the guest VLAN, put an IP address on it and it can ping the router, but not the WLC.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Denny

Cisco Employee

WLC Placement

Guest vlan is tagged, be sure to tag it with dot1q encap on all devices along the path including the router.

Community Member

WLC Placement

I feel like a noob. Double checked the switch port and it wasn't in trunk mode. Once I set it I can ping the interfaces.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content