cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLSE 1130 console connection

rolandshum
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a new WLSE 1130 as an RMA. I tried to connect to the console port to do the initial configuration. However I'm not getting any response from it. I used a female - female RS-232 DB9 cross-over cable, a female - female RS-232 DB9 straight through cable and 2 DB9 Mod taps with the silver/grey RJ-45 cable that Cisco usually sends with their switches. Is there anything else I can try?

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Roland,

I don't mean to offend you, but are you connected to the right serial port (back panel)

shown as number 4 in the attached picture of the back panel. I have connected to the wrong one

so I know first hand, (was not a magical moment!!)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3915/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00803629e5.html#wp1028600

Attach a console or connect via Telnet or SSH to the WLSE.

If you are using a console, make sure you are attaching it to the correct port:

For the WLSE 1105, use the serial port on the front panel; do not use the serial port on the back panel as the console port.

For the WLSE 1130 and WLSE 1130-19, use the serial port on the back panel as the console port.

Use hyperteminal set at 9600 8 n 1 (no flow control).

As I said before I've done this myself and didn't realise my mistake until someone else looked at the setup with a different set of eyes.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob

Yes I'm using the console connection on the back. I didn't even see a port on the front why have it there if they don't use it other than to confuse people? LOL I also tried to attach a keyboard and monitor but that doesn't get me anything either.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card