Views
Helpful
Replies

WLSE vs WCS

jorge.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was considering implementing WLSE in our environment for controlling the AP's we currently have deploys, let's say about 150 accross different sites, sometimes with 1 or 2 AP's sometimes with 40, all of them around the model Aironet 1242.

But speaking to Cisco they are telling me that's a wrong direction and that we should go for WCS and convert all our AP's to Lightweight. But that costs a fortune, and the only thing we were looking at is a way to monitor and manager those AP's in terms of IOS, Rogue ap's, Brute force attacks, monitor of policys, etc.

Is it really true that Cisco is close to abandon the WLSE solution, and force the customers to go for WCS?

What's your opinion?

2 Replies 2

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

My opinion is based on a conversation I had with Cisco's Wireless product manager, Deewan ( I wont even attempt to mangle his last name) in January of this year at the Executive briefing center in San Jose.

The WLSE product will go away and is most likely in its last revision. There are several customers with large numbers of deployed APs they are tracking to determine when they will announce EOL/EOS for the product.

FYI my company has more than a thousand deployed AP's (considerably more) so its going to be quite costly for us too.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card