Views
Helpful
Replies

WPA2 Aes encryption on cisco 1121G AP

rogierboeken
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i wanted to increase the security on my 1121G accesspoint by enabling wpa2 with aes encryption. i set this up in a test environment and i configured my wireless client to connect, my wireless client (ibm thinkpad t42p with 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II has the ability to either select WPA or WPA2 and whether you use TKIP or AES. i selected WPA2 and AES enter the encryption key which i had entered on the AP and i connected,

i change the settings on the client to WPA and TKIP and entered the same encryption key and i managed to connect as well, which puzzles me, when i enter an incorrect encryption key it won't associate.

is this normal behaviour or do you think i have configured something incorrectly on the 1121G AP?

i have attached my config and have removed some personal data.

many thanks

rogier

4 Replies 4

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

entering an incorrect encryption key will cause you to not associate - this is correct.

Is that your question or did I miss something?

Hi

with the config i have i seem to be able to login using either tkip or aes, but i don't think i have got mixed mode configured on the AP so it should only accept WPA2-AES encryption but it also accepts TKIP making me believe something is configured incorrectly.

should i change anything in the config on the AP to only allow WPA2-AES encryption?

many thanks

rogier

Well AES and WPA2 or WPA and TKIP, either way you still had the correct key, so apparently you are allowing both.

Can you post the AP config?

Damn, blonde moment...sorry.

What do you have guest mode for? Get rid of that see what happens

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card