cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WPA2 and mac authentication

jlhainy
Level 2
Level 2

I am currently using WPA2-spk. I want to add another layer of security. I know I could do EAP. I am also looking at mac authentication. But I want to host the mac list on an ACS server. Setting the the mac addresses on the ACS server is pretty cut and dry, but how can I configure the ap to look to the ACS server for its mac list? And, how can I get WPA-spk and mac authentication to work together?

4 Replies 4

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jared,

you can do this by setup the following:

Webinterface:

1. Securtiy -> Server Manager

Setup the ACS IP in the list "MAC Authentication" in the section "Default Server Priorities".

2. Securtiy -> Advanced Securtiy

In the section "MAC Address Authentication" use the radio button "Authentication Server Only" or "Local List if no response from Authentication Server" for a fallback configuration!

IOS Interface from config mode:

aaa group server radius rad_mac

server 10.20.40.37 auth-port 1645 acct-port 1646

and

aaa authentication login mac_methods group rad_mac

or

aaa authentication login mac_methods group rad_mac local (for local fallback)

I have not tested this, cause the MAC of the supplicants is to easy to sniff and any medium skilled person may used a sniffed MAC to enter the first authentication stage!

Better use a setup with EAP-FAST or PEAP!

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Frank

I hope that helps.

I got that far, but I am still not seeing the mac authention portion work. I am looking at my ACS logs and I don't even seen an attemtp to authenticate the mac address to the ACS. I currently have open authentication set up. When I add the option with mac address, then the wireless breaks and I cannot use the Access Point any longer.

Frank,

I just found an error message that states that mac authenication is not supported with wpa-spk. So it looks like I am stuck with EAP as I figured I would.

I was just trying it out to see if it was a possibility. Thanks for responding.

Hi Jared,

you are totally right!

Have a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008054339e.shtml#supp

Sometimes RTFM helps.

;-))

I have learned something, too.

Best regards,

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card