cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

XP clients still connected to lwapp AP but lose connectivity

cbaser007
Level 1
Level 1

I'm seeing XP SP2 clients (Dell TM 1400 and 1450) lose network connectivity periodically but they stay connected to the AP (running WLC code 4.1.185 on 1131ag). The clients do a "repair connection" and that fixes them, at least until the next episode. No errors on the WLC, client looks fine, good signal, but they can't even ping their gateway when it happens. I saw another posting that indicates it is a client bug and there is a MS patch for it. Anyone know what the patch may be? Other things to check? Using Radius and WPA1 with AES.

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a client issues.... I have seen that in the past and with other brands of laptops. I don't know what the fix for the Dell's are, but Dell should have that or someone on this forum might be able to help you.

Have you tried a different version of firmware on the wifi card?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

It really depends on the chipset you are using on the client side. Are they Intel or Broadcom? Broadcom is having some serious issues with their new universal driver. Also, if Intel, please verify you are using the latest drivers and also please insure you have roaming properly configured on the client. What can happen is that the AP could be changing channels after your RRM update and the clients get stranded. Try disabling RRM for a day and see if it solves the issue. If it does, then re-enable RRM, enable credentials caching in the security settings. You might also set this, Wireless => Global RF 802.11b/g change 11Mbit from mandatory to supported. Apparently there is a known issue with 11Mbit beacons, disabling them also assists in better roaming. I know you're not roaming here but the connectivity issues could be a result of RRM.

I'm using the Broadcom chipset in the clients. I've got RRM set to only adjust channels at midnight each day. I'll try changing the data rates as you suggested. If I change 11Mbit to supported, what do you suggest I set as the Mandatory rate?

leave all the other rates as they are.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card