Introduction: This document describes step by step approach on how to take care of IDM or ASDM Java memory Heap issue.
1. IPS or ASA
2. IDM or ASDM Software
Try 1 of the following procedures----
1. - Right click "Cisco ASDM Launcher" > Properties
2. - Click "Find Target"
3. - opens ASDM target directory
4. - disabled "asdm-launcher.config" file from read-only
5. - edit the file, changing the 2 params for Xms and Xmx to 256 & 512
6. - save, close and revert to read-only
7. - restart ASDM and my IPS section works
1. Right click "Cisco ASDM Launcher" > Properties
2. Click "open file location"
3. opens ASDM target directory
4. -copy file "asdm-launcher.config" to desktop and disabled "asdm-launcher.config" file from read-only
5. delete "asdm-launcher.config" file in ASDM folder
6. edit the file on desktop, changing vmparam to = vmparam -Xmx300m
7. copy file from desktop "asdm-launcher.config" into ASDM folder
8. save, close and revert file to read-only
9. restart ASDM and IPS section works
This document was created from following discussion-----
Hope this is helpful.
This change is "not supported and will require this device to be re-imaged to guarantee proper operation" but you can login and change these parameters with the service account to fix IDM on an IPS 4200 series to work with java 1.6
<j2se version="1.4+" initial-heap-size="256m" max-heap-size="512m"/>
This worked perfectly for me and the step-by-step was spot on, thanks!
i can't find asdm-laucher.config in c:\program files\cisco systems\ASDM\ . i have set java in control panel to -Xmx512m but still cannot work. i currently can access asdm but cannot access idm5.0 via web. it prompt up heap size less than 256. any way can try?
For me what it worked was:
1. Right-click on the IDM icon -> Properties
2. Check the Target and go the the mentioned directory (in my case the path was:
"C:\Documents and Settings\HOST2\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\55\736982f7-26e9de5d", so I had to go to the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\HOST2\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\55\" and find the file '736982f7-26e9de5d' - check what is in your case.
3. In the directory will be 2 files with the same name, but the one will have .idx extension. Edit the file that has no extension (736982f7-26e9de5d in my case). Change the line
<j2se version="1.4+" initial-heap-size="64m" max-heap-size="256m"/>
<j2se version="1.4+" initial-heap-size="265m" max-heap-size="512m"/>