cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4 Office VPN

mcannon98
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect three branch offices back to our main office. I have purchased three 1750's with VPN cards and ordered T1 lines for each location. The main office has 25 users and each branch about 10. A couple questions:

Should the main office use something larger than a 1750? One branh office is new so I need to buy another router anyway. So I was thinking if I need to buy a larger one for the main office then I could send the existing 1750 to the branch.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Using Internet T1's to create a multi-state network? I'm not sure what issues I will run into in terms of usable bandwidth, latency issues, etc...

I'm fairly new to the wan side of networking but have 15 years with networks in general. Would appreciate any thoughts and comments.

3 Replies 3

ddrodge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just finished doing the same with three branch offices and one HQ. We used C1720 with the VPN Module in all sites. Used ADSL for Internet and speed is fine. The remote sites access a Windows Terminal server at the HQ. Each remote is 5-10 users. Works as designed.

Now doing a site with six remotes and one HQ. Using the C1720 VPN bundles again for all the remote sites and a C3640 with IP/FW IPSec feature set, Remote clients login to a Netware 5.1 server via the VLAN. All programs are local to the remote sites and data is local to the Netware server at the HQ. Also accessing SQL services remotely. Beacuse don'y know what will be accessed through HQ site (DMZ with PIX being discussed) went with the C3640 to handle all options.

Cisco techs said that the 1720/1750 with VPN modules are fine for this traffic. Hopes this helps.

Hi

Did the remote sites have ADSL with Static Public IP ?

Will this work if the DSL provider only gives Dynamic IP ?

Can the 1720 with dynamic IP initiate a tunnel to the HQ site?

Thank You

Sure,

The only drawback to that particular solution is that you must accept attempts to establish sessions from either any ip or from the range that the DSL-provider will use for your site ...

The 1720 with dynamic IP will have no problems with establishing the tunnel, however, for obvious reasons there will be some problems if the HQ have to initiate.. :-)

Kind regards,

Marcus Lundbom

CCDP & CCNP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card