cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA licenses, one license or two, for a failover pair

rhienwei2010
Level 1
Level 1

I got two ASA firewall units set up as failover pair.  Now I need increase the SSL VPN license, do I need one license for the ASA pair, or two licenses, one for each unit.  Can use one activation key on both units? 

One thing I know for sure, put activation key on the Active unit, cannot sync the license to the stand-by unit.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends on the version. On ASA 8.3 and later versions, you can share a single license across an HA pair.

View solution in original post

Correct. You need to start with Security Plus as your basis for creating a failover pair with the 5505 or 5510 entry level models. Reference.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends on the version. On ASA 8.3 and later versions, you can share a single license across an HA pair.

Thank you very much for the info.

One more thing, I have two 5510s, they are 8.4, but their IOS is K8, doesn't support failover.  I am planing to purchase Security Plus license to upgrade them to support failover.  In this case, can I use one Secrity Plus license to share on two units?  I guess I cannot, becase they are not a pair yet, right?

Regards.

Correct. You need to start with Security Plus as your basis for creating a failover pair with the 5505 or 5510 entry level models. Reference.

Thank you.  Appreciated.

You're welcome. Thanks for the ratings.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card