cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA licenses, one license or two, for a failover pair

rhienwei2010
Level 1
Level 1

I got two ASA firewall units set up as failover pair.  Now I need increase the SSL VPN license, do I need one license for the ASA pair, or two licenses, one for each unit.  Can use one activation key on both units? 

One thing I know for sure, put activation key on the Active unit, cannot sync the license to the stand-by unit.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends on the version. On ASA 8.3 and later versions, you can share a single license across an HA pair.

View solution in original post

Correct. You need to start with Security Plus as your basis for creating a failover pair with the 5505 or 5510 entry level models. Reference.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It depends on the version. On ASA 8.3 and later versions, you can share a single license across an HA pair.

Thank you very much for the info.

One more thing, I have two 5510s, they are 8.4, but their IOS is K8, doesn't support failover.  I am planing to purchase Security Plus license to upgrade them to support failover.  In this case, can I use one Secrity Plus license to share on two units?  I guess I cannot, becase they are not a pair yet, right?

Regards.

Correct. You need to start with Security Plus as your basis for creating a failover pair with the 5505 or 5510 entry level models. Reference.

Thank you.  Appreciated.

You're welcome. Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: