Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASA Logging Advice/Assistance

Hello,

We currently run ASA 5520's at our CO and our Production Controls Manager is looking for an easy way to view the ASA logs for certain users activity and also for external IP's hitting our outside interface. I am not very knowlegeable when it comes to different industry standard/accepted solutions for logging so thats why I am here.

I know ASDM has a monitoring tab but I would prefer not to give him access into the ASA directly unless someone in the community knows how to give this access with a set of commands that will lock him out of everything else or if there is a standalone app from ASDM that just shows monitoring/logging info. The other issue with ASDM is the monitoring will most likely be real time or only a few days back and not historical.

Another option is exporting them to an FTP server which I am fine with doing but I feel he will have an issue going through them all to find the information he needs.

We do have a solarwinds server but I dont know how to get the Cisco logs to show up in the GUI so he can read them from a webpage.

I am sure there are other ways to achieve this but these are the only few that came to mind right off the bat given our environment. Does anyone have a place I can look or suggestion on an easy way to do this? I am sure it can all depend on the environment but our Production Controls team isnt looking for too much just a small bit of information.

Thanks,

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: ASA Logging Advice/Assistance

If you have Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM), you can easily set the ASA to log to it:

CLI method

ASDM method

Log level 4 is most useful for errors and warnings. If they want to see every connection being established, you will need to move  up to the much more verbose level 6.

The manager can then just refer to SolarWinds' syslog viewer for a source of all the syslog data. It's easy to sort by time period, interesting message string etc. You can optionally set actions from the SolarWinds console (via RDP) for selected sylog messages.

You can set SolarWinds to keep data for a fixed period or by how big the database grows.

Views
Helpful
Replies