Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Best way to load balance VPNs

I have two ASA 5540s that I would like to configure for VPN load balancing. I had been looking at the Active / Standby configurations, but am curious if doing this I can truly get VPN load balancing or if this means all VPNs on the active unit and then when a failure happens all VPNs go over to the standby unit. This isn't what I want.

I have found some documents that talk about setting up a cluster. But I think these documents are telling me not to configure the two ASAs as a active / standby failover pair. Does that make sense?

Anyway - what is the best way to accomplish VPN load balancing? In our setup these ASAs will only be handling VPNs (no firewalling will be done here).

2 REPLIES

Re: Best way to load balance VPNs

An active/standby failover pair configuration will provide for resiliency in the event of a hardware or software failure. One ASA is "Active" while the other is in a "Standby" mode. Config and state information is synchronized between the two devices. Only one ASA services client connections at any given time.

Load balancing, on the other hand, allows you to configure a "cluster" with multiple participants. Each participating ASA can service client connections thus sharing the load. The following doc gives a good overview of load balancing and provides sample configurations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/vpnsysop.html#wp1048959

Bronze

Re: Best way to load balance VPNs

Thanks - good information. So to clarify, there is no way to load balance Site to Site VPN tunnels across 2 ASAs (either through active / standby or clustering). It appears that clustering will only load balance remote access VPN user connections using a VPN client. Do I have this right?

Thanks again,

Jim

Views
Helpful
Replies