Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Can a 1841 handle the load?

I guess I have several questions here.

I have a 2821 router in place that is the VPN peer to a DR site with a 12M fiber connection to the Internet.

The peer has 15M fiber. The VPN is configured:

crypto isakmp policy 1

encr 3des

authentication pre-share

group 2

lifetime 3600

crypto ipsec transform-set ESP-3DES-SHA esp-3des esp-sha-hmac

At the moment there are bursts of pegging the bandidth of the link.

I am wondering how do I calculate how much of a router I would need in this situation.

For example if I want to use this heftier router somewhere else and replace it with a 1841, can it handle the load.

Cisco specs are shown below, but I am not sure how this tells me what I need to know. It says the 1841 can handle 25Mbps and 95Mbps, is this for 3DES and AES?

If so, why wouldn't I use AES all the time for better efficiency?

At what level is the memory and CPU usage at these spec?

How would I calculate if the 1841 can handle this?

? The Cisco 1841 Series Module (AIM-VPN/SSL-1) can provide hardware-based IPSec encryption services of 25 and 95 Mbps in the Cisco 1841 (IPSec Internet mix [IMIX] and 1400-byte packets).1

? The Cisco 2800 Series Module (AIM-VPN/SSL-2) can provide hardware-based IPSec encryption services of 30 and 160 Mbps in the Cisco 2801, 35 and 130 Mbps in the Cisco 2811, 90 and 140 Mbps in the Cisco 2821, and 100 and 160 Mbps in the Cisco 2851 (IPSec IMIX and 1400-byte packets).1

1 REPLY

Re: Can a 1841 handle the load?

hi

hope these docs helps..

regds

Views
Helpful
Replies