cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use QoS to help minimize browsing/downloading traffic?

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have been looking at using QoS to cut down on user web browsing traffic and downloading by assigning bandwidth and queue priority guarantees to more important traffic and therefore "starving" the bad traffic of bandwidth. However, it seems that most QoS schemes are designed to manage outbound congestion from a fast link like a FastEthernet to a slower link such as a T1. It seems to me that user web traffic/downloading would cause more of a problem with the inbound bandwidth instead of the outbound. For example, a user could with a couple clicks of a mouse could send a few packets out that would trigger a huge download to come down the link. Obviously I cannot implement QoS on the other side of my T1 since it is owned by my ISP. Would limiting outbound user data be much of a help in this situation?

Thanks,

Diego

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

You can configure CAR (Commited Access Rate) for your browsing traffic and give the desired bandwidth for the same. CAR can be applied both for your incoming and outgoing traffic.

Apply it on your serial interface and specify the bandwidth for your browsing traffic on that.

You can set matching criteria and drop the excess packets if needed.

Refer to the following URL for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios111/cc111/car.htm

l.cabral
Level 1
Level 1

Diego,

You're right. You can control at what speed your users upload and "only" the speed that they perceive from downloads, but the usage of your internet link will remain high.

There is no solution to this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card