Views
Helpful
Replies

Clustering 3020 VPN Concentrators

rostoski123
Level 1
Level 1

When clustering VPN Concentrators:

Do config changes on the master propagate to the clustered devices?

Or do you have to download the .txt file each time the master config is change?

2 Replies 2

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ryan,

My understanding is, when clustering VPN3000's the configuration file is not synchronized between the master and slave(s).

The only option is to download the configuration file from the Master, make the necessary changes specific to the backup and then load the configuration on the backup VPN3000.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

When you built VPN Cluster (load-balance mode), you need to synchronize configuration for all devices on the first setup.

The master cluster's config will not be propagated automatically to the member unit to avoid the other members to carry the same cluster priority or rank in the cluster group. Otherwise, all devices will have same priority and can cause operation issues.

Basically, what you do is to have a basic config file (normally master unit), then changed to required fields for each devices based on IPs, hostname, cluster ID/priority and so on - that differentiate each other.

However, please be extra careful if you have different models in the cluster as some fields might be different from one model to another. Usually, when you decide to do cluster, the VPN3K model will always come from the same family, i.e all vpn3060.

- How to synchronize VPN config based on a master config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/products_tech_note09186a008050643e.shtml

- How to configure VPNs for load-balance:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/products_tech_note09186a0080094b4a.shtml

HTH

AK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card